Made It

Well, after a really long trip I finally made it to Hanoi. I started this journey around 1pm on the 8th of May and I sit here I believe it is around 1am on the 10th of May. Yes, it did take me at least 36 hours of plane and airport time to get here. So, as you can imagine, I am very happy to be in my hotel and awaiting the Kern kids (they fly in about 4 hours after I did).
I can't complain too much about the trip because I lucked out with my seat assignments. On the 10 hour flight over to Tokyo I had a window seat, but in an exit row of a 777. For those of you who don't know what this means I will explain. What it means is that I did not have any seats in front of me for about two rows (now that is an exit isle done right). I got all of the leg room I could stand and got to watch a couple of movies. "27 Dresses" was cute, but it was a typical chick flick, romantic comedy. I must say that it was entertaining and I would watch it again (no snide comments from the peanut gallery). "Jumper" was entertaining as well, but I don't think I would watch that one again. It was not a bad movie, but I can now say that I have seen it and move on.
After a nice 3.5 hour layover in Tokyo I was on my 6 hour flight to Bangkok. Although I didn't get an exit row seat on this 777, I was bumped up to an isle seat in Economy Plus. Yes, it was still economy, but it came with about 4 extra inches of leg room (a great necessity for someone with my inseam). The flight went somewhat quick and I actually found myself sleeping for part of the flight. Granted it was in 10-15 minute cat naps and some really bad sleep, but I will take what I can get.
The next layover was not so pleasant, but the Bangkok airport is pretty cool. Not only is it huge, but it has glass everywhere and is very modern and pretty. They even provided the first Starbucks sighting of my Asian adventure. Spending 13 hours in any airport with all of your baggage is too much for any sane person. Luckily people frequently question my sanity so I was ok. I didn't sleep, but I did finish the book I had started on the flight over as well as another book. Both were good, but I am sad that I no longer have any books to read - I will have to find someone to trade with.
Bangkok to Hanoi also went off without a hitch and it found me back in the exit row. The plane was smaller but I still had a good extra half an isle to stretch my legs in. Not too bad for the long flights. All in all it was a good trip with little turbulence and very comfy (for a plane that is) seating.
Well, I am going to go back to the room and chill out for a while before the Kern's get here. A shower sounds wonderful right now and I only have to make it another 4 hours before I can go to bed. I think this will be the longest I have stayed up at one time (if you don't count the crappy plane sleep). All in all I will have been up for about 44 hours. Not bad for someone who just turned a whole year older (no, Keith and Joanna, I don't feel really old yet).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may not feel old but I bet after 44 hours up you look old!

Keith

enviousmama said...

Glad to know you made it safe and sound. I look forward to all your blogs, as do some of my co-workers. We're living vicariously through your travels. Have a great time.
Love, Mom
Keith -- I wonder what you'll look like after your flight. Send a picture!